Saturday 27 July 2013

Night out on Vancouver Town with The Chantrelles

A band that I have been watching closely is Victoria's "The Chantrelles" they played at the Electric Owl on Friday night. I was impressed with their stage show, sadly it was a rushed job, with three bands in 2 hours. However, there are lots of opportunities to see the band on their current mini-tour of Western Canada.


I look forward to booking the band - look for another Vancouver date in the fall either at Cellar Jazz or the Kozmik Zoo.

Considering the average age of the band they pull off a marvelous soul and funk vibe with mostly original tunes. The audience consisted of some older folks, who were around in the first wave of soul - back in the day and possibly their grand children :-) It's great to see people of all ages enjoying a new vibe on an old sound.



The Electric Owl remains a venue that remains in my bad books, crappy sound and the closure of their kitchen [not a good sign] has seen this venue go downhill in recent months. I can only guess the plethora of underage teenagers present as sign of desperation at the door and back office. I can only suspect bad management is at fault.

Here's a little video I took last night.
On a positive note - one of the other band's worth mentioning was Johhny de Courcy and the Death Rangers I was pleasantly surprised by Johnny and the band. I must admit I've always been a sucker for ambiguity, regardless of the art form and Johnny delivered that in spades.

You can find more on Victoria's The Chantrelles here
You can find more on Johnny de Courcy here

Van City Soul Club has lots of events coming to the Cellar Jazz Club in Kits for the month of August - please check the Cellar's web site for details - reservations strongly suggested:
August 7th - Holly Burke
Aug 15th - Skylab Sounds
Aug 29 James Buddy Rogers
Sept 1 Riley Inge Sr. with the Flora Scott Band
 

No comments:

Post a Comment